Friday, June 11, 2010


After reading what Nabokov wrote, I think that he is very clear on what he thinks makes a good reader. He even goes as far as to list exactly what he thinks these characteristics are. According to Nabokov, a reader must have four things at his or her disposal “…the good reader is the one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense…” (Nabokov). However, he goes on to point out another facet that must be acquired to attain a great reading ability; rereading. Nabokov says that a book is like a painting that reveals itself over time. The viewer can take in a painting as the whole, understanding it in a matter of moments. Whereas, with a book, reading for the first time is exhausting. You are trying to attain all the monotonous details but by your third read, you understand the true nature of the book.


I agree with what Nabokov says about good readers. Anyone can read a book; however, not everyone can learn to appreciate a great masterpiece. I think that the author is spot on with traits that a good reader has. My little brother has no appreciation for books or reading, yet he loves sports and anything to do with sports. My father introduced us to C.S. Lewis at a fairly young age and I fell in love with his Chronicles of Narnia, yet my brother could not stand them, because they didn’t make sense with his physical world. I do believe that I am a good reader. I enjoy reading books and love rereading books to try to learn more. My personal favorite series is the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.The website for his books and info about him is http://www.alagaesia.com/index.php#/home. There are currently three books out with a total of about 3,500 hundred pages written. Every time that I reread one or all of those books, I pick up on something that I missed before and it shifts my understanding and brings in a whole new perspective to my reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment